Tuesday, May 23, 2006

'Cause Flaky is My Middle Name


My mom just called and asked for my pie dough recipe, so I thought I would go ahead and spread the love. I used to use Martha's pâte brisée , which has a great flavor, but it is somewhat tough. Like most American's, I love flaky. This recipe comes from Julia Child's Baking with Julia.

5 1/4 cups flour
1 T. Kosher salt
1 1/2 sticks cold unsalted butter, cut into small pieces
1 3/4 solid vegetable shortening, chilled
1 c. ice water

In a Mixer with Paddle Attachment
Put the flour and salt into the bowl and stir to mix. Add butter and mix on low until it is cut into the dry ingredients and looks coarse and crumbly. Add shortening in small bits and mix on low. When mixture is clumpy and curdy and holds together when a small bit is pressed between your fingers, add the water and mix just until incorporated. Turn the dough out onto a work surface and fold it over on itself a couple of times.

Divide dough into four equal pieces, wrap each in plastic and chill for at least 2 hours or up to 5 days. You can freeze it up to a month. Makes enough for 2 double-crust or 4 single-crust pies or tarts. This is also excellent for savory pies and quiches.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Yummy, I am so scared of making pies I have never attempted it. Maybe I will make a first go at it.