Friday, November 07, 2008

Octover


It's been so long between my posts that I actually forgot my user name and password. Sad but true. I found several half-written posts in my queue that I'd completely forgotten about. My blog is starting to look just like the rest of my life. Maybe that's not such a bad thing, really. A blog should be reflective of one's true self, no?

I hope everyone had a crazy-spooky Halloween and got lots of yummy treats. We went pumpkin picking early and it was a good thing because I hear the patch ran out of pumpkins pretty fast.




As always, we scraped out all the seeds to roast. This year I tried adding Tabasco and they turned out so yummy we went searching for more pumpkins just to roast the seeds.

Louisiana Pumpkin Seeds
2 1/2 c. pumpkin seeds
2 to 3 T. butter, olive oil, or Earth Balance
1/4 c. Louisiana hot sauce
salt

Preheat oven to 275 degrees. In a large bowl, combine seeds, melted butter, hot sauce and salt. Stir well. Spread seeds onto cookie sheet. Bake for 30 minutes, stirring every 10 minutes until seeds are golden. Yum!


Somehow, I always end up being the last one to finish my Jack-O-Lantern. I even got a head start and gutted mine early, but the Mr. and the babes still finished before me. I made an owl, which I thought turned out pretty cute, but the picture's not so hot.

you can see his big eyes on the right

I only made one costume this year and that was for Little Scarlet. It was the easiest and fastest costume I've ever made and honestly, that makes me sad. My kids are funny, smart and clever, but when it comes to Halloween costumes, they pick the most boring, run-of-the-mill stuff ever. Knight. Princess. Pirate. Fairy. Snooze. Next year I'm going to make the most kick-ass costumes ever for the Mr. and me. The kids can fend for themselves.

Little T told me back in August that he was going to wear the Batman costume that he bought at a yard sale. I honestly wasn't a bit worried because he wore that costume every single day and it got washed a couple times a week, so I figured it would fall apart before Halloween. When it still looked pretty good at the end of September I began to panic (and maybe even threw it in the washer a bit more often). When he bought a backup Superman costume at the thrift shop I knew I'd been defeated.

I know I have nothing to be upset about. I mean one kid spent 50 cents on his recycled costume and the other kid picked a costume that took maybe an hour start-to-finish. I should be happy right?

Oh well, there's always next year. I've already started putting the bug in their ear about the cool costumes "we" are making.

No comments: