Monday, December 31, 2007

its a wrap

I hope everyone had a wonderful holiday spent with loved ones by the fire eating lots of homemade goodies!

We went off to spend Christmas with my folks and I think that I sewed right up until the second we left and even contemplated taking my machine with me. I'm happy to report that I finished most of the handmade gifts that I began back in November. All that's left is a horse-print nightgown for Little Scarlet and some matching pajama pants for the boys. I was feeling pretty proud of myself until I happened over to Bethany's blog and saw that she completed 34 handmade gifts (that's not including baked goods, people). Um, wow.

As far as gifts go, I tried to come up with something that was easy to make, could be customized to suit each person's taste, and would actually be used rather than thrown into a closet somewhere. Enter the reusable shopping tote. These totes are reversible, machine washable and fold up to a tiny square that will fit in your pocket. I keep one in my car at all times for impromptu grocery trips, library visits and thrift store haunts.

For Little T's teachers...
Little Scarlet's teacher...

My sister...
The teacher's versions were filled with winter survival goodies like tissue holders with tissues, hand creme, tea, lip balm, and hand sanitizer. Most of the others contained baked goodies or bath products geared to the recipient. I made eleven of these and they were a joy to give because not only were they well-received, but they are so pretty there was no need for wrapping paper, just some sweeet gift tags from Amy and Sew Mama Sew.


This little guy was a gift for my husband, who will always be my monkey man. They could be twins...or at least date mates. My husband has a flannel shirt like this that he has worn since I've known him and probably a good ten years before that. Same eye color and hat, the only thing missing is the beard.

And there are always a few people on my list that I just cannot make or shop for, so they always get gifts from the kitchen. This year, except for the peanut blossoms,I changed my usual lineup considerably. Creamcicle Cookies
Chocolate Mint Drops
Oatmeal Cranberry
Toffee Pecan
Gingersnaps
Brownie Cookies
Peanut Blossoms

We usually do some sort of shaped or cut-out cookies and fudge or another type of candy. I learned that by doing all drop-style cookies, we could make more batches in less time which was important because we baked all of these the day before we left. Now, I'm sure many of you are already aware of this bit of baking wisdom, but since I just figured it out, I'm documenting it here so that I will remember next year. And...the wrapping paper is in the box with the white tree.

2 comments:

You can call me Betty, or Bethany, or Beth ...Just don't call me late for dinner. said...

Oh...I counted every little thing though... My mother in law got a cosmetic bag, tissue holder check book and coin purse.. That counted as 4, not one. My niece got a fairy outfit: hat (1), tutu (2), wings (3)...

When you say 34 it more resonably justifies the factory like conditions and take out food we enjoyed through out November and December.

I do sincerely resolve to spread the handmade gift joy more evenly this year! ( Please don't let me forget!!)

Unknown said...

Haha, boy do I know that feeling. I usually open up the christmas tree box only to find all sorts of stuff I crammed in there the year before and forgot about. :)

These all look great! Love the monkey, too.