Thursday, December 06, 2007

Tissue Holder Tutorial

The gals over at Sew Mama Sew were so sweet to feature my tissue holders from the Handmade Holidays photo pool. Thanks girls!

Tissue holders are great stocking stuffers and a great way to use scraps of your favorite fabrics. I make mine a couple of different ways and I thought I 'd show you how to make a basic model and a variation. They work up quickly and you could add trim, ric rac, buttons...the possibilities are endless.

Basic Model

First you want to create a template. This is hardest step because those squirrely tissue manufacturers all seem to make their travel packs a different size. Mine is 5 1/4 inches by 7 3/4 inches. This fits the dollar store tissues I buy quite snugly but also fit Kleenex brand well.

Next cut out a front, lining and a piece of lightweight fusible interfacing using your template. Then iron the interfacing to the backside of your front fabric.
Place your two pieces right sides together and sew up the short sides using a scant 1/4 inch seam allowance. Trim edges close to stitching.
Turn right side out and press.
Turn lengthwise with the front facing you and fold the bottom up to meet the top. Press.
Unfold then fold the top down and the bottom up to the crease. Like this. Pin. Sew across the short sides using a 1/4 seam allowance, back tacking at the beginning and the end but also in the middle for extra durability.
Pink the sewn edges.
Turn right side out, place your tissues inside and away you go!

Now that you have the basic model down, you can get as creative as you like by adding more fabrics and trim. I like to use two different fabrics for the front and sew a ribbon or ric rac across the seam. This is a great way to use even smaller scraps.

Sew two pieces together that will be at least 5 1/4 inches wide, use your template to cut to 5 1/4 inches. Now, say your piece isn't 7 3/4 inches long, but only 6 3/4 inches long.
Measure your lining fabric and add to the 7 3/4 inch length the extra inch that your front fabric was short, making it 5 1/4 inches by 8 3/4 inches. Cut your interfacing to match your front fabric and iron it onto the wrong side of the front fabric.

With right sides together, sew up one short side. Then match the other short sides up and do the same.
Turn it right side out and manipulate it until you have the same amount of lining showing on both sides. Press.
Turn lengthwise and fold in half like you did for the basic model. Fold to find the midpoint.
Fold top and bottom to meet midpoint. Pin.

Sew across the short sides. Pink sewn edges.

Turn right side out and viola!

8 comments:

Natalie, the Chickenblogger said...

Hello!
I came by your blog through Sew Mama! and I have to thank you for this tutorial. I made 11 today... enough to pass around to my girl friends at a party tonight! Your tutorial made it possible. It's such a fun project, and it keeps getting easier... now I want to get fancier, embellish and try more, but I better return to the real world and feed my children lol!

Natalie, the Chickenblogger said...

ooh... after getting familiar with the first version, I can see the sense and simplicity of the other versions, like the one with the shorter lining, which happened to me. Way cool! Thank you.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the great tutorial. I made one today. Love it!

kelly said...

I found your tutorial via the Sew, Mama, Sew blog. Thanks so much for posting it! I made a bunch of them for Christmas gifts. You can see them on my blog right here.

Thanks again -- there were a big hit!

Anonymous said...

Thank you!

I've not made one yet, but I will.

well done tut...

Anonymous said...

Who knows where to download XRumer 5.0 Palladium?
Help, please. All recommend this program to effectively advertise on the Internet, this is the best program!

amish bed frame said...

This is a very nice tutorial. I love the idea. Brilliant.

Jess said...

Great tutorial! Thanks for sharing.

Jess
Urban Patchwork