Saturday, April 15, 2006

I've Got My Magic Pie



Instead of the traditional Easter dinner with the family this year, my sister-in-law hosted a pre-Easter brunch. The kids had a big egg hunt and filled up on candy which was great because it left more food for us big kids. I was in charge of dessert, so instead of my usual cake, I served them pie. I'd forgotten how much everyone loves pie, and how much I enjoy making it.

I had made this strawberry-rhubarb pie several times before and it is super easy. If you want to try it and can't find fresh rhubarb, frozen works fine.

Strawberry-Rhubarb Pie

1 1/4 lb. rhubarb, cut into 1-inch pieces
1/2 lb. strawberries, hulled and halved
3/4 cup sugar
1/3 cup all-purpose flour
enough dough for double crust pie

Heat oven to 375. Roll out half of dough and transfer to 9-inch pie pan. Chill dough while you mix the strawberries, rhubarb, sugar and flour together in a bowl. Roll out the top crust to 1/8 inch thickness and cut slits or cut out shapes with mini cookie cutters. Pour rhubarb mixture into prepared pie pan. Drape second dough over pie. Trim the edges leaving about 1/2 inch overhang. Fold this overhang under, pinching to seal and to create a thick crust. Crimp or scallop around the rim. Brush top of pie with egg white and sprinkle with sanding sugar. Chill for about 10 minutes to let the dough rest. Bake on the center rack of the oven for about 50 minutes. If crust starts to brown before the rest of the pie, cover the edges with strips of foil. Cool to room temperature.

This was my first time for lemon meringue and I was a bit skeptical about the whole meringue thing, but it wasn't bad. I got the lemon recipe from American Classics which I think is by the Cook's Illustrated crew (I'm too lazy to get up and look right now).

Speaking of pies, everyone knows that Easter wouldn't be Easter without "Peeps", and what could be more festive than Peeps Pie? Thanks for the link Oncee, this made my day.

2 comments:

Jennifer W. said...

Your pies are beautiful, and they sound absolutely delicious. Happy Easter!

woof nanny said...

Amy at Angry Chicken was just saying she wanted to make a pie with rubarb. You should forward your post.